Sunday, August 24, 2008

David and Goliath

I am so sorry that I have not posted the next part of Garrison's story yet.  I have been out of town but I will post the next part of the story tomorrow!  Thanks for being patient with me!  I do want to share something that Kirk shared with us on this trip.  

I should start by reminding you of my time with the Lord a few mornings ago.  The "change the thinking...change the person" post.  I asked God to show me how to change my thinking and he started with this...

We all know the story of David and Goliath, right?  Well, I have never really noticed the few words that Kirk pointed out to us yesterday.  1 Samuel 17:48..."As Goliath moved closer to attack, David quickly ran out to meet him."  If you are not familiar with the story and don't know the odds that were against David, I encourage you to read the story in it's entirety in 1 Samuel 17.

How many of us have giants in our own lives that come to attack us on a daily basis?  Whether it be addiction, self image, pride, hatred, jealousy, etc.  How many of us actually run out to meet our giants as David did...ready to show the world what the Lord can do in the most unlikely ways...using us...the most unlikely of warriors?  But doesn't he do just that?  If we really believed that, would we not run out to meet the giants in our lives so the world would see the glory of God through it?  I am challenged today as I really think about what that means for me.  I know something of what the Lord wants from me and can no longer be ignorant to it.  He has called me to face the giants in my life like David did...not waiting in the shadows for them to find me and kill me but by running out to meet them...conquer them with the power that he has given me so that the world might see his glory and know that he is a righteous God...a God that can do the "impossible"!  I am not powerless to my enemy!  He has no authority over me...I'm covered with the blood of the Lamb!  And SO ARE YOU...if you've accepted him as your Savior.  So run out and meet those "giants" in your life with the power that Jesus Christ has given you!  You no longer have to hide...run out to meet them!

"Remember , dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world's eyes, or powerful, or wealthy when God called you.  Instead, God deliberately chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise.  And he chose those who are powerless to shame those who are powerful.  God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important so that no one can ever boast in the presence of God."  1 Corinthians 1:26-29

"For nothing is impossible with God."  Luke 1:37


No comments: