Monday, August 18, 2008

A little off...

I have been a really bad blogger!  I just realized that it's been a whole month since I posted last.  So....I thought I'd just give a little update and a promise to blog more...for the two people who read this stuff!!!  LOL.  

I have been in Nashville now for a little over a month.  I have been here a grand total of 12 days  in that month.  Ha.  I have finally had a full week...well almost...tomorrow makes a week.  Anyway, I haven't done much other than just work on decorating and organizing the house and hanging out with some friends.  I did an EMI showcase last Tuesday for a few artists...Jason Champion, Anthony Evans, and Heather Headley.  It was fun and it was a little exposure here in Nashville.  

I am getting used to living by myself.  It's not my favorite thing...being alone...but I realize that some alone time is good.  I have fun by myself for the most part...I used to think people that went to the movies and stuff by themselves were crazy but I like it from time to time.  I think I was built for companionship though...I can be in the room with someone else and not say a word and be perfectly content. 

Today has been a little difficult.  Don't really know why.  I have just felt a little down.  As I type this I'm tearing up...again, don't know why.  I woke up feeling a little raw.  It could be hormonal.  I'm sure it is.  I went out on the balcony to read this morning...a ritual of mine.  I love to read out there.  I finished a book out there the other night...stayed up until 4am.  I couldn't put the book down!  Anyway...it was exactly what I needed this morning.  I read a Max Lucado devotional...Grace For The Moment.  It's great.  I take the scripture and then read that whole chapter.  It just seems to work for me that way.  I'm not a close your eyes, open the bible,  read whatever your finger lands on kind of person.  LOL  So this system has been the best for me.  This is what I read...

Whatever is true, whatever is honorable....if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Philippians 4:8

Change the thoughts, and you will change the person.  If today's thoughts are tomorrow's actions, what happens when we fill our minds with thoughts of God's love?  Will standing beneath the downpour of his grace change the way we feel about others? (or ourselves)
Paul says absolutely!  It's not enough to keep the bad stuff out.  We've got to let the good stuff in.  It's not enough to keep no list of wrongs.  We have to cultivate a list of blessings:  "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, thank about these things."  Thinking conveys the idea of pondering---studying and focusing, allowing what is viewed to have an impact on us.  

Rather than store up the sour, store up the sweet.
A Love Worth Giving
Max Lucado

This was such a sweet gift this morning from the Lord.  I woke up just feeling off...not that good about myself...down for no reason.  I hate that.  I have no idea what caused it other than remembering that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."  Even my own flesh and blood.  I find it hard sometimes not to believe the lies that satan tells me.  I know he hates me and that I should give him no room at all but sometimes I believe him.  This morning and for most of the day today...I believed every word.  I have had a strong desire to know the Lord in a more real and personal way lately.  I long for it.  I should have known that he would fight me on it...that he would show up sooner or later.  Praise God that the battle for my soul was won on calvary and that he has no right to me because I've been bought with a price...a high price and nothing could ever separate me from the love of Christ!!!  

If you feel defeated or depressed or if you have a hard time taking those lies captive...like I do sometimes.  I pray for you along with myself in the battle for our minds.  Satan knows exactly what to tell us and what we will believe.  I, for instance...as a great friend so gently put it...will believe a lie before I will believe the truth.  Unfortunately, he was right.  So...If you tend to do the same thing...do what he told me to do.  FIGHT FOR THE TRUTH...simply said but hard work!  We can do it!!!!  God has given us the instructions to do so....


"For this reason, take up the whole armor of God so that you may be able to take a stand whenever evil comes.  And when you have done everything you could, you will be able to stand firm.  Stand firm, therefore, having fastened the belt of truth around your waist, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and being firm-footed in the gospel of peace.  In addition to having clothed yourselves with these things, having taken up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to put out all the flaming arrows of the evil one, also take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the WORD OF GOD."  Ephesians 6:13-17

STAND FIRM



3 comments:

Unknown said...

For what it's worth, Ashley, I read your blog. I hope you're able to transition to Nashville well. It certainly is a beautiful part of the country!

Michawn said...

that's good stuff, ashley. i needed to hear it. thanks.

Liz said...

Ashley, you are one of the most beautiful, talented people I know. Not just saying that because you're having a rough day. It is absolutely true. I am sorry you are down - I have been there myself many times. I pray that the Lord will let you see yourself through his eyes today.